CombAway - innovative machine for insect control in agriculture
|Coordinator||JUSTCOMMONSENSE EUROPE AB|
|Funding from Vinnova||SEK 574 000|
|Project duration||August 2016 - November 2017|
|Call||Nivå 1 - Innovationsprojekt i företag|
Purpose and goal
Our purpose and goal with this project was to use the same basic idea as for our weeder CombCut, but with minor modifications, so it can be used also for pest management. The result of the project is satisfactory. Basics are done but needs to be refined. We have managed to develop the first prototype for field trials that also have been tested in field with a good result at the last and most realistic field trial in rapeseed. We think it is possible to apply in the project tested technology at CombCut. Rebuilding between the different functions can be done with a few simple steps.
Expected results and effects
Our basic idea of comb away the pests from the crop through a comb system and then collecting them in a collection system, needs to be complemented with a brush function. The rapeseed plants do not seem to be affected and the share of brushed away pollen beetles is estimated to 75-85%. At some tests we needed to simulate pests because there was no natural stock. Trials has also been done in cereals with aphids and then the prototype removed the lice to 99%. What needs to be improved is capturing and collecting the pests since the loss is too much.
Planned approach and implementation
Initially, simple field trials were made and those experiences were weighed together with SLU´s expert opinion and formed the basis for the idea launch. The prototypes were built in JTI´s workshop, using CombCut sections to facilitate modularization. Since nature is difficult to simulate, we had to do the tests in the SLU greenhouse during the winter and in the field during the growing season to get a fair outcome. Unfortunately, rain made it difficult to conduct field tests in the spring, but we did these during the autumn instead.