Your browser doesn't support javascript. This means that the content or functionality of our website will be limited or unavailable. If you need more information about Vinnova, please contact us.

Creating Synergies between MBSE and Design Thinking

Reference number
Coordinator Linköpings universitet - Department of Management and Engineering
Funding from Vinnova SEK 215 543
Project duration September 2018 - June 2019
Status Completed
Venture Personal mobility between societal sectors
Call 2017-04723-en

Purpose and goal

The aim was to transfer knowledge from previous research, but also to get direct experience of organizational challenges that arise when prototypes and testing increasingly are done in virtual form when developing complex systems. During the months I stayed at Saab, through daily participation in everything from meetings and workshops to courses and regular lunch discussions, I have learned a lot about the special conditions that apply within an organization that develops complex, critical systems with long time perspectives and irregular opportunities to start over from scratch.

Expected results and effects

The purpose of the project was to create a strong research collaboration between Saab, LiU and Stanford University on the possibilities of combining MBSE (focus on system definition and understanding, and virtual models) and Design Thinking (focus on user needs and quick, simple physical prototypes) in the development of complex systems. . The outcome was great mutual learning, drafts for two joint research projects, continued cooperation and experimentation in the fall, as well as a draft of a new master´s program.

Planned approach and implementation

I used a DT-inspired method. I spent a total of three months at Saab and was placed at the Department of Method Support, shared rooms with two change leaders and was part of the daily routine there. I did interviews ranging from people from flight-testing to measuring to understand the work, and participated in training and courses. We jointly went to Stanford one week in December where we had workshops to define what we wanted to accomplish together. In May I went back there for further discussions and refinement.

The project description has been provided by the project members themselves and the text has not been looked at by our editors.

Last updated 18 July 2019

Reference number 2018-02433

Page statistics