VINNOVA is launching a new programme – International Cooperation for Eco-innovations. The programme aims at strengthening Swedish actors’ networks for international research and development cooperation for eco-innovations within sustainable urban development, information and communication technology and environmental engineering. The first call for proposals is open for collaboration with actors in China or Brazil.
The call is part of the government’s investment in environmental engineering, which aims at creating conditions for the development and/or adaptation for the emerging markets in China and Brazil. The call for proposals also promotes suggestions using the competences present in, for instance, Swedish local authorities. Swedish local authorities and companies owned by the local authorities have excellent knowledge of technology and system solutions within the area of environmental engineering. Cities in other countries have a corresponding key role in adjusting to a more sustainable society. For that reason it is desirable that the consortiums can find ways to make competences and technical solutions accessible within Swedish local authorities and their corporations.
The focus for the new programme is on stimulating cooperation between academia, institutes and businesses in emerging countries. The actors' increased global R&D presence is expected to lead to increased competitiveness and growth at the same time as the conditions for a better environment and the sustainable development of society are strengthened.
The programme’s goals are to:
- Strengthen Swedish actors’ networks for international research, development and innovation cooperation within the area of the environment, which in the long run promotes the export of Swedish environmental engineering.
- Promote innovation collaboration which contributes to increasing Swedish actors’ access to information and brings them closer to future clients, needs and markets.
- Promote the establishment of long-term sustainable contacts between Swedish and international consortiums by supporting development and strengthening both new and established networks.
- Facilitate early concept verification and making support to demonstration projects accessible with the aim to promote the industrialisation of new information.
- Stimulate the growth of ways to increase sales of services based on the competences and technology developed by public actors in Sweden.
- Contribute to positive environmental effects and sustainable development.
co-innovation is a large area which may consist of many types of products and services. Within the framework of this programme, VINNOVA will apply a broad definition to it as long as it is possible to demonstrate that the project will provide substantial results in the form of innovation, increased competitiveness for the participating parties and positive environmental effects. The prioritised areas are:
- Sustainable urban development, for instance, part and system solutions within water supply and sewer systems, urban transport, water purification, waste disposal and recycling.
- Information and communication technology which leads to reduced environmental influences.
- Environmental engineering, including environmental protection technology, efficient management of resources (water, raw materials, energy, etc.) as well as the substitution of fossil-based, energy-sapping and harmful substances
The call for proposals is aimed at consortiums with active participation from parties such as universities or research institutes as well as businesses and/or public actors.
The characteristics of a consortium are that it is run by innovation interests which have been drafted by business actors. Participation and the use of experiences and competences of local and other public authorities are desirable. The call for proposals includes existing consortiums or actors with the potential to develop and strengthen their cooperation with the target markets mentioned. A collaboration must include active participation from universities or research institutes, as well as businesses and/or public actors. In this call for proposals consortiums that wish to establish collaboration with actors in Brazil or China will be financed.
The calls within the programme are built on a multistage process with the following project forms:
- A. Cooperation organisation and preliminary studies.
- B. Implementation of international research and development projects.
During 2013 there will be opportunities to apply for grants to work with project form B for collaboration with China and Brazil.
The complete call for proposals texts and how you apply are available at VINNOVA’s call for proposals page. The last day to apply is 14 September. More information about the programme, the call for proposals and applications can be provided by Ciro Vasquez, who is responsible for call for proposals at the International Collaboration and Networks.